Voting Rating: 5 / 7 votes

Friday, September 30, 2011

communication

Communication… not my strong point. I am the girl that you call and I don’t answer so you leave a message and then I don’t call back for five years only after you have totally written me off. My mom used to make fun of me when I was a kid. While other little girls were talking to their friends on the phone about whatever for God knows how long my conversations were more like “Hey, what do you need, okay I got to go.” While my phone etiquette has improved tremendously, my desire to do so has not strengthened much in the last 20 years. This has stretched amazingly into my email life as well.  I currently have 500 emails. I think I enjoy a bit more elusive life where I can participate in communication with others at whim. I like having good relationships with people, but I guess am just okay with quiet time to myself too. So I had a guy worker come to my house this morning to give me a quote on some drywall work on my house. He was very nice, but he totally did not hold back in letting me know communication is an issue for me. “So you are really hard to get a hold of aren’t you?!”  He says not really asking a question. “Just answer your phone!” Ugh. The majority of the time when the phone rings I yell at it to stop ringing.  And my major in college was Mass Communications! But seriously, what is my aversion to communication? I have decided that after all of these years of fighting the need to have conversations I am going to adopt a new relationship with the telephone. Instead of yelling at it when it rings I am going to remind myself of the reality- there is a person on the other end that cared enough about me to actually call me. It is not the phone trying to interrupt my peace, it is an actual person that wanted to hear the sound of my voice and how cool is that! To all of you have tried in earnest to get a hold me before I sincerely apologize. I have phone issues. I promise from now on out I will answer all phone calls as they come in even if my kids are tackling me down at that moment. If I do not answer it will be because I am in a no ‘cell phone area’ and I will call back as soon as possible. I will answer emails daily. I may even make a phone call or two myself. And I will make time for this blog.

No comments:

Post a Comment